[Wikimediaindia-l] Death and Post-mortem of Indian Education Program pilot

Bala Jeyaraman sodabottle at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 06:45:39 UTC 2011

-*  If Hisham and Nitika were clueless why didn't to step-up and asked them
about the expectations. One more thing when you are starting something new
don't expect people will start reaching you from the Day1, we need to build
a relationship and get their faith that "we are here to help you, and it's
going to be great learning experience". Tell me how many times did you
reached out to students, even if you did and they didn't responded don't
loose the faith, they are new to this environment just help them to take
baby steps.

*I remember doing this exactly on Oct 12 office hours. Here is the
transcript snippet which srikanth has provided in the earlier mail. Again
you are demonstrating your ignorance about what an OA role is.

Oct 12 15:34:32 <srikanthlogic> but i was on IRC, got only one help req in
> a whole week, my talk page was untouched. I am ready to help if people
> reach out :)
>  Oct 12 15:35:33 <Hmundol> srikanthlogic & soda bottle : yes, i know that
> more students ought to be reaching out but sometimes they don't even know
> the mistake they are committing so don't reach out. …what the Campus
> Ambassadors have been doing i s proactively going to contrib histories and
> checking in. …unfortunately, that seems to the only way that it's worked.

*.*
- *First of all I didn't like the way you put this statement, if helping
someone by teaching them the right way is some kind of low grade job for
you, then I can surely say you are a misfit here! Just imagine you are
trying teach a kid to write, they will definitely mess it up by drawing
mangoes and bananas, and when you clear the slate you don't call it
janatorship, coz you know what you are doing, and having faith that the kid
will learn by doing mistakes eventually.

*This is exactly the kind of cluelessness i am referring to. The
[[WP:COMPETENCE]] exists exactly for this purpose -  we dont want "kids",
who will "mess up" by "drawing mangoes and bananas" here. We want atleast
semi competent, interested people who can act responsibly.

But then,  i should expect this general cluelessness and ignorance from a
"campus ambassador" with a grand total of 41 mainspace edits?.

This sums up the problem of the IEP -  designed by people clueless about
how en wiki works and run by "campus ambassadors" who view wikipedia as a
giant sandbox to play with students.