[Wikimediaindia-l] Death and Post-mortem of Indian Education Program pilot

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 05:02:15 UTC 2011

Thanks Shiju.
I raised same points yesterday , in Malayalam wikimedia list , in a related
thread.
 Thanks for bringing this discussion here

Anivar

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Shiju Alex <shijualexonline at gmail.com>wrote:

> Another strategy that we can adopt while doing this program in India is,
> about the selection of articles for editing. We can ask students to
> contribute to articles that they are interested in, rather than of all of
> them editing the articles on the same topic.
>
> The reason I am telling this is, In India (in general) it is not the
> students who are deciding the course (and career) that they want to
> study/pursue. Parents, relatives, and community around them decide that. So
> even though the student's interest may lie in a specific area, he might be
> studying a different course.
>
> Allowing students to edit in a topic that they like will bring in more
> original content. But the issue with this methodology is, the role of
> Professors might be reduced, and the role of CA and OA might be increased.
> And I am not sure how the
>
> But this methodology is adopted very successfully in Kerala using School
> wiki <http://schoolwiki.in>. But we may say, that is school children and
> they are not mature enough for wikipedia editing. Again that is our
> misconception. In general, personally I am more interested to target school
> students (high school and Plus 2) than college students. School children
> are fantastic. It is true that most of us under estimate them. But to see
> the successful result from India, see the young and wonderful wikipedians
> we have in Malayalam wikipedia and wikisource.
>
> *Note: *Please note that I am replying to this thread as a Malayalam wiki
> community memeber.
>
> Shiju
>

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Swaroop Rao <raul.swaroop at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> That's true Arjun, there is a lot of interest in this program in many
>> colleges, and this is going untapped. No, its not dead for sure. It was a
>> pilot, and it didn't come out pretty; no issues, that's how we learn. I
>> think that one thing we learnt is that the US model may not work out well
>> for India, so we need to develop an India specific model for this (That's
>> what we've been trying to do in these previous mails actually I guess).
>>
>> Swaroop Rao
>> (MikeLynch <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MikeLynch>)
>>

>> Steering Committee member, United States Education Program
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 23:36, Arjun mangol <arjun.mangol at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I refuse to believe it dead as of yet. There's yet a lot of avenues that
>>> haven't been explored. My personal suggestion was that let IEP establish a
>>> Wikipedia Club in every college in Pune to begin with, that would inculcate
>>> new, interested members who have a genuine passion for the project. Such
>>> clubs could meet every second Sunday, hold guest lecs, set a quota for a
>>> certain no. of articles to be created by the Pune chapter and so on by the
>>> members, teach its members better editing skills, and spread the knowledge.
>>> The CA training prog that I attended was a hell lotta fun and I wish many
> [...]

"[It is not] possible to distinguish between 'numerical' and 'nonnumerical'
algorithms, as if numbers were somehow different from other kinds of
precise information." - Donald Knuth