No subject

Tue Mar 15 17:42:23 UTC 2011

Partnerships should be mutual, transparent, well conceived and always in the
best interest of Wikipedia.

*Any commercial interest in the content created will only lead to compromise
of some sort. *

For example, if a book publisher wants to write a series of articles in
Wikipedia and then publish it, this might seem like a good will gesture of
donating articles to Wikipedia. But, the articles may not adhere to
Wikipedia's MOS and may be written in a style for their target audience.

Commercial entities can best support Wikimedia by "donating" resources like
tools, facilities and sponsorships to conduct events.

Ravi

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 12:14 AM, Gautam John <gautam at prathambooks.org>wrote:

> Thanks for sending this, Ravi. I am wondering how much this has to do
> with them also shutting down their translation and transliteration
> APIs as recently announced and how much this has to do with them
> having achieved what they set out to do - not as far as Wikipedia is
> concerned but their internal metrics for the project.
>
> A larger question I am trying to parse - what have we learned from it
> in terms of partnering with organizations that also have commercial
> goals?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best,
>
> Gautam

--0016e6ddab1942553504a505fc65

Hi Gautam,<br><br>I am not sure if this is related with them closing down o=
 started these projects with a goal of collecting some data and they might =
have met it. <br>
 and might have chosen to shut down some resources. <br><br>Google&#39;s pr=
oject can hardly be called a partnership. It started the program on its own=
 and the communities had only two choices: Block them or guide them how to =
do it better. <br>
roject and tried to provide a pilot model for other Wikipedias. <br><br>Fro=
m my experience in this project, my personal opinion is that:<br><br>Partne=
rships should be mutual, transparent, well conceived and always in the best=
 interest of Wikipedia. <br>
 write a series of articles in Wikipedia and then publish it, this might se=
em like a good will gesture of donating articles to Wikipedia. But, the art=
icles may not adhere to Wikipedia&#39;s MOS and may be written in a style f=
or their target audience. <br>
resources like tools, facilities and sponsorships to conduct events.<br><br=
2011 at 12:14 AM, Gautam John <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:gauta=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">Thanks for sending this, Ravi. I am wonderi=
ng how much this has to do<br>
with them also shutting down their translation and transliteration<br>
APIs as recently announced and how much this has to do with them<br>
having achieved what they set out to do - not as far as Wikipedia is<br>
concerned but their internal metrics for the project.<br>
A larger question I am trying to parse - what have we learned from it<br>
in terms of partnering with organizations that also have commercial<br>
goals?<br>
Thank you.<br>
Best,<br>

--0016e6ddab1942553504a505fc65--