[Wikimediaindia-l] URL Shortener in Tamil Wikipedia + URLs for Indic Wikipedia

Shiju Alex shijualexonline at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 18:55:19 UTC 2011

Happy to note that more communities started thinking about this issue. I
remember raising this issue way back in 2009 or early 2010.  But there were
not much takers then.

> Happy to announce that Short URLs are now available in every page of Tamil

Wikipedia.

Need to do some UI testing. For example, see this
article<http://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%AE%87%E0%AE%B2%E0%AE%99%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%95%E0%AF%88>.
We (Malayalam wikimedians) found several use cases like this when we
customized pretty url for Malayalam

It would be great if this can be supported by Wikimedia itself.

That is a good suggestion Srikath. This type of solution is required in all
non-latin wikis. In fact it is required even for some Latin wiki articles
including English. For example, see this article from German wiki.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%84

I understand Malayalam wikipedia has a redirect mechanism based on the

english interwiki title for sometime now.

That is a wrong assumption. It is not just copy paste of English URL. If we
were doing like that, what will happen to these type of articles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclop%C3%A6dia_Britannica. It is again out
with some ugly characters.

Even though Malayalam community was aware about the solution that Srikath
provided, there are several reason for not going for it. Santhosh has
already pointed out some of the major reasons. So not elaborating it more.
But we have solution for the problem Srikanth mentioned right from late
2006.

ts just a template, but the problem is one needs to run a bot for all
> existing articles to add the template with a fancy name.But ml wiki is
> primarily using english names, transliterated text to form pretty urls. Just
> as i type, Santhosh replied. More on another reply.

In fact redirect pages are very much required for each wiki article. We
never know what all keywords people will use to search for wiki articles.
All the possible keywords should be made redirects.

Think about people who come to wiki only for reading. They have so many
obstacles to reach a particular wiki article. if we are able to understand
this, we will be able to develop different solutions for them. That is why
we developed many solutions including pretty url.

[4]
> http://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B4%AB%E0%B4%B2%E0%B4%95%E0%B4%82:Prettyurl --
> Its funny, prettyurl template extension url isnt pretty :P

The reason is, it contains localized namespace. But you have solution there
also: http://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Prettyurl

If am going to pretty URL solution (which has its advantages on readable
> URLs) I would need to run a bot and do a lot of work for 29000+ articles. :)

In fact if you are not creating the redirect page *India* for the article
இந்தியா<http://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%AE%87%E0%AE%A8%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%A4%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%AF%E0%AE%BE>in
Tamil wiki, then that is very bad from reader's perspective. Yesterday
was introducing Tamil wiki to one of my tamil friend. The first word he
typed in search box was *India*. We can't expect people to know typing in
Tamil when they come there only for reading. Same case applies to all
articles across various Indian language wikis.

But create only those redirect pages that make sense.

Shiju