[Wikimediaindia-l] Odia and Odisha

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 18:42:42 UTC 2011

Hoi,
The or code is from the ISO-639-1, the code in the ISO-639-3 is ori. The
codes are meant as a unique identifier and making them easy to remember is
in some way helpful in others it is problematic. It is problematic because
all the existing expressions in a language will still be known by the old
code.

Consequently the codes stay the same and the new name is added with the old
name as a valid synonym.  To understand this, these names and codes are used
internationally and the rest of the world does often find it hard to change.

Just an example fi or Finnish is actually called Suomi in Finland :)
Thanks,
      GerardM