[Wikimediaindia-l] [OT] Broadband growth in India

Srikanth Lakshmanan srik.lak at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 02:34:46 UTC 2011

OffTopic

Just thought will share this Summary table[1], detailed TRAI report[2] which
might be of interest to many of us.

[1]
http://www.medianama.com/2011/03/223-statewise-broadband-subscribers-in-india-31st-november-2010/
<http://www.medianama.com/2011/03/223-statewise-broadband-subscribers-in-india-31st-november-2010/>
[2]
http://www.beknowledge.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/e4da3Broadband%20usrers.pdf

Doing a detailed comparative analysis of this data and Indian Wikistats
might give some insight on how Wikipedia access is correlated
to infrastructure.

Observation:- South India has more rural connections, so its obvious to
assume they are accessing more. North pretty much minus Punjab and
Gujarat are far behind in terms of rural connections.I feel growth of rural
users will have a direct impact on consumption of Indic content. Note i have
a prejudice that urban people dont use / consume regional content. I am
certainly not 100% correct.

Any other things you could see?

Regards
Srikanth.L