[Wikimediaindia-l] Fwd: [cultural-partners] Hurtigruta - another strange video project from Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation

Srikanth Ramakrishnan rsrikanth05 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 15:46:05 UTC 2011

Shiju,
Does that make any of these two of my photographs on the commons illegal?
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BETL-BMIC-Hosur-_Road-Junction.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Garden-City-Skyway-Bridge-KRPuram.jpg
Also, does the government differentiate between Photography and Videography?
--Regards,
Srikanth.

On 17 June 2011 21:12, Shiju Alex <shijualexonline at gmail.com> wrote:

> A station is public property and hence nobody should be able to stop you
>> from photographing it.
>>

> That is our assumption. Just like that we assume that all Indian/State
> Government websites are in public domain since ours is a democractic nation.
> But in reality that is not true. Government is imposing restrictions on
> various things through copyright law. Refer to the earlier
> mails/clarifications sent by Gautham.
>
> See the below site which lists some restrictions regarding photographing
> Indian Railway assets.
>
> http://www.irfca.org/~shankie/irphotography/irphotography.htm
>
> From there:
>
> THE OFFICIAL VERSION:
>
> India, it would appear, suffers from a persecution complex. Several places
> are considered restricted in India. These include bridges, railroad yards,
> railway premises, sheds, workshops, stations and tunnels. These are supposed
> to be of military importance.  Officials are very skittish about the whole
> thing,  and many of them tend to go overboard in trying to enforce these
> restrictions. Its against the law to take a photograph of a train at the
> station, yet, you can walk a few metres away, just outside the station
> limits, and shoot freely from there. Or from the overbridge just before the
> station. Or from the lineside in open country. Which is why we railfans call
> these 'idiot restrictions'. But thats another story.
>
> Hence officially, if you are planning on doing some really serious and
> extensive railroad photography in India, it is absolutely essential for you
> to apply for and acquire a permit. You will need to write to:
>
> The Joint Director of Public Relations, Railway Board,  Rail Bhavan,  New
> Delhi-110001,  India.
>
> As far as I know, most of the railway related restrictions are imposed by
> Indian railways, not by Central Government. But I couldn't find an official
> document related to this.
>
> Now Railway police/authorities are trying to impose this
> official/unofficial policy/law through various means.
>

> Shiju
>

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
> rsrikanth05 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Shiju, what problem can railways have?
>> A station is public property and hence nobody should be able to stop you
>> from photographing it. It isn't covered under the Official Secrets Act, is
>> it? Besides, if there was a problem, then a HUGE bunch of photographs from
>> the Commons shouldn't exist. If it were illegal, how come so many films are
>> shot in stations and trains?
>> If anybody wants, I can get a sample clip of a road, which can be applied
>> to rail as well.
>> --Regards,
>>

>> On 17 June 2011 17:48, Pradeep Mohandas <pradeep.mohandas at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> I think since what we want to do is videotape a railway route, the
>>> driver's bogey is more suited to this. I would want to film during day
> [...]

I got a FLIP!!! I got a FLIP!!! I got a FLIP!!! I got a FLIP!!! I got a
FLIP!!!