[Wikimediaindia-l] Clarification from the Chapter

Gautam John gautam at prathambooks.org
Wed Jun 8 09:27:02 UTC 2011

Hey All:

We realise that the WikiConference Framework has caused some confusion and
we wanted to clarify this.

The Chapter EC would like to indicate intent of the following:

   - The Chapter indicates its intent to take the responsibility of working
   with various stakeholders to have this event run year on year
   - We would like to help build with the community a repeatable and
   sustainable set of methods that would help organize an national annual
   Wikimedian event.
   - The focus is to evolve a framework that would allow City, Chapter and
   other community stakeholders to participate in organising the annual event
   in manner that the experiences, learning and best practices can be carried
   forward across years.

The following clarifications are also in order:

   1. The framework is a draft and is open for further refinement with
   various stakeholder inputs. The framework will always be an ideal goal. Even
   if the proposal doesn't match it, the idea is for the Chapter to help bridge
   that gap.
   2. We do believe that as a general practice it is good haver many cities
   bidding to run this event on annual basis and that a choice is made based on
   the merits of the bid.
   3. The enthusiasm and passion shown by the Mumbai and Pune Wikipedians in
   taking the lead get an event of this nature for the first time is laudable.
   We also owe a debt of gratitude to the Bombay and Pune communities for
   bringing the discussion and planning thus far for the event.
   4. What we intended to communicate is that we know Mumbai has an event
   being planned and even if it doesn't match whatever framework we all come up
   with, it doesn't really matter, because all of us, Community and Chapter,
   will work together to bridge the gap such that the event works.
   5. It's awesome that Mumbai and Pune communities are ready to go with the
   event. It doesn't appear at this stage that there any other volunteers or
   bids in the making. We all want an event of this nature to happen. That
   said, we are also trying to put some process and structure around it for
   future events.

Thank you very much.

For Wikimedia Chapter, India.

Best,