[Wikimediaindia-l] India map and indian laws

Arun Ganesh arun.planemad at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 09:27:13 UTC 2011

As someone who created many of the Indian maps on wikipedia, this is a
serious issue which needs a decision as it has been in the gray for quite a
while. I have stopped my contribution of Indian maps ever since i realized
that my work could have legal repercussions. For now, all the maps come with
an explanation of the depiction of the borders and a disclaimer that it may
not conform to local laws.

Specimen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:India_map_blank.svg

This is an issue which requires someone with sound legal knowledge to solve,
something for the chapter to take up. Let us not forget that we are creating
a repository of knowledge, if wikipedia ever hid the truth for the sake of
being politically correct, the whole project is pointless.

--
j.mp/ArunGanesh