[Wikimediaindia-l] Moderation policy on WikimediaIndia-l

Anirudh Bhati anirudhsbh at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 09:14:49 UTC 2011

Hi Achal,

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Achal Prabhala <aprabhala at gmail.com> wrote:

> As moderators of WikimediaIndia-l, could you describe the policy you
> normally adopt towards moderation?

Thank you for the email.  You can review the Wikimedia mailing lists
administration page for information about the role of list admins and mods.
 Here is a link which you can review:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Administration

> Do you only block obvious spam or other messages, and if so on what basis?

The spam filter on default catches spam and other bulky messages (including
ones that have image(s) embedded in them.)  I think Delphine's email
contains a nice explanation.

List mods can moderate trolls and other problem users who willfully cause or
contribute to disruption on the mailing list.

> I am naturally curious since a message from Praveen that you only just
> released seems to have been sent in 3 days ago.

> Furthermore, I think we'd benefit from understanding how people may
> apply to become administrators on this list.

I understand the source of curiosity and would like to clarify that
Praveen's email was caught in the filter because it had an image embedded in
it.

> In light of Anirudh's recent appointment to administrator of this list,
> is there an open process by which other members might apply?
> (Foundation-l seems to have three administrators, though I would imagine
> that there is nothing stopping WikimediaIndia-l from having more than
> three).

There is no formal process for "appointment" of list administrators.  The
usual practice on Wikimedia lists is for the founder of a mailing list to
appoint admins and mods whom s/he can trust with keeping the lists running
as smoothly as possible.

At this point of time, we don't feel the need for having more list
administrators, however list subscribers who are interested in keeping a
check on the spam filter as moderators can write an email to either list
admins.

> Please note that I don't ask with persecutory intent, but merely to
> clear gaps in my own understanding, which might be a problem that other
> people on this list face as well. Since WikimediaIndia-l is such an
> important place for all kinds of conversations that cut across the
> movement in India, it's in all our interests to know exactly how it is
> managed.

For more information, please review the following pages:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Overview

> Best regards,
> Achal