[Wikimediaindia-l] Article Feedback Tool v5 : Indian Perspective

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Dec 22 02:48:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 2:28 AM, Srikanth Lakshmanan <srik.lak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some of you might have followed the recent improvement with Artcle Feedback
> Tool v5 (AFTv5) , for those who didnt please read[1]. Even before reading
> the entire page, something struck me. The design is strangely synonymous
> with Indian comment boards. I strongly feel, having this on India articles
> will generate more trash than any feedback and 100x load more on editors to
> cut the junk, moderate etc. If

Hi Srikanth,

determining the signal/noise ratio on different types of articles is
exactly part of the current evaluation. Please see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Article_Feedback_Tool/Version_5/Feedback_evaluation
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Article_feedback/Data_and_metrics

Importantly,
* these free text comments aren't yet visible through the site; we're
collecting them for the initial analysis;
* if we find that we get a reasonable amount of actionable, useful
free text suggestions this way, building scalable systems for
filtering/managing those comments is precisely the next item on the
agenda.

Some ideas on how that could work (very preliminary) are here, and
more are welcome:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Article_feedback/Version_5/Feature_Requirements#Feedback_page

Your participation is much appreciated and Oliver can give you and
anyone additional pointers to get involved.

I do personally believe this could be a really, really important step
for getting many more people involved, but it's also - for sure - very
important to get this right. Nobody has any interest in re-inventing
YouTube comments or similar crap.
--
Erik Möller