[Wikimediaindia-l] Indic has arrived! -- on devices !!

Sudhanwa Jogalekar sudhanwa.com at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 10:02:06 UTC 2011

Hi,

As I understand, many vendors do support Indic languages (at least one
of them like Hindi/Tamil). What we require is to find out the right
device that supports Indic and suits our needs.

My 2.5 year old dual SIM phone from FLY has Hindi support. Can show
all the menus in Hindi, can send/receive SMS in Hindi.

My earlier Nokia phone (purchased about 6 years back) also had Hindi support.

Some of the low cost printers-inkjet, laser ones also have Indic
language support in their software as well as manuals.

Regards
-Sudhanwa

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Srikanth Lakshmanan <srik.lak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It was a almost a unimaginable surprise when I heard a Samsung camera has a
> Tamil interface! See pic[1]. It is important milestone when Indic is
> starting to reach beyond computers, mobiles. While this also reinforces the
> Indic growth theory(not just wikimedia in non-profit space, even for
> business in for-profit space), it also means more work for those who are
> working on Indic space (translation, content creation,technology). Their
> work will directly or indirectly reach more people outside wikimedia
> projects. Projects like wiktionary will be source for many languages which
> might not have any other largest source of vocabulary elsewhere. I would not
> be surprised if in future translations for real world things are done openly
> through projects like translatewiki :)
>
> [1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tamil_interface_camera-suya_prakash-salem_Wiki_DEC2011-Tamil_Nadu626.JPG
>
> --
> Regards
> Srikanth.L

web: www.sudhanwa.com  blog: www.sudhanwa.in
Twitter: sudhanwa Check on FB, Linkedin for more.