[Wikimediaindia-l] Sharing insights and experiences from Indian language wiki communities - Kannada

Srikanth Lakshmanan srik.lak at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 11:43:20 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 04:18, Jessie Wild <jwild at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I just got off the phone with a wonderful woman who works for EDC India
> who was asking me how she could participate in Kannada Wikipedia editing.
> Obviously I can just direct her to the homepage of kn-wiki, but is there
> somewhere she could go to get some coaching to begin? She's never edited
> before, but is fluent in English too and wants to increase the educational
> content.

The answer is above. I think communities must use front page much more
effectively. There are many communities which don't update front
page regularly, still keep it similar to English Wikipedia, wasting(IMO)
some space. Instead, they could redesign front page to allocate significant
space for attracting newbies.

Srikanth.L