[Wikimediaindia-l] SocialShare Gadget on Tamil Wikipedia

Srikanth Lakshmanan srik.lak at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 04:37:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 04:05, Arjuna Rao Chavala <arjunaraoc at gmail.com>wrote:

> I saw this used on  Wiki Conference India page <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiConference_India_2011>earlier  If there is some easier analysis of the number of view of the
> conference, pre and post the introduction of sharing buttons, it may give
> idea the usefulness of the idea. Probably this could apply to Tamil contest.

As such numerical analysis on the usage of social media is not black and
white. For WikiConference, Tamil Contest and others we do all kind of PR,
so we cannot bucket the page views, but social media does play a key role.

On a slightly related note(unrelated to social media, but related to
numbers) of campaign tracking, am looking to gather numbers for the
SiteNotice campaign atleast and have talked to Howie Fung during the
Hackathon for some improvements in SiteNotice mechanisms taking inputs from
Fundraising team. I hope we will work on it sooner. For people who are not
aware, extensive analysis goes behind the fundraising and they gather
numbers on many things(from clicks to actual payments) to see which
campaigns are effective and use them.

Srikanth.L