[Wikimediaindia-l] IEP Pilot - Preliminary Analysis

Vickram Crishna vvcrishna at radiophony.com
Mon Dec 5 07:20:59 UTC 2011

Relax, Pradeep. The confusion/noise is only from the fact that OSM has been
a longstanding acronym for Open Street Maps, which is an important facet of
Open Knowledge Culture. To be very frank, I was completely unaware of the
term OSM for Open Source Movement, and also read Tory's acronym as Open
Street Maps, and while being very pleased to learn that Sudhanwa was a
contributor to it, was confused in equal measure by (what I assumed was)
his shyness to being identified with Wikimedia.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Pradeep Mohandas <
pradeep.mohandas at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> Since I am creating noise on the list, I apologise and resign from the
> list. Hope the signal levels go back up.
> If there is no article on OSM, please WP:BEBOLD and create one.
> Wikipedian vocabulary is not limited by the content of Wikimedia
> projects but rather by day to day usage.
>
> Again, apologies. I am sorry to see this mailing list also getting as
> divided as things are in the OSM.
>
> warm regards,
> Pradeep
> User:Prad2609
> Handheld.
>
> On 05/12/2011, Anivar Aravind <anivar.aravind at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Pradeep Mohandas
> > <pradeep.mohandas at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> hi Anivar,
> >>
> >> Wikipedians like us call it the Open Source Movement. Since, we're all
> >> on the Wikipedia list, the acronym is acceptable. We don't have to
> >> adjust for the FOSS guys and be specific. Please understand and
> >> adjust.
> >
> > Pradep, I pointed it because that acronym created confusion in this list
> > Sudhavana understood OSM as Open street Maps, in the same way as i
> > understood.
> > I feel your mail is adding further noise to thread
> >
> >> Just feel that your email was not needed. I know you had good
> >> intentions and I'm assuming WP:AGF.
> >>
> > en:wp does not have a page on Open source Movement
> > It is FSM.
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software_movement
> >
> > Anivar

> --