[Wikimediaindia-l] Help with an WP outreach event in Gujarat

Arnav Sonara sonara.arnav at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 09:32:00 UTC 2011

Hello,

This is User:Rangilo_Gujarati here basically from Gujarat and now in Pune,
am planning an outreach event most probably a workshop in MS University
Baroda, Gujarat during their forthcoming technical festival
Footprints<http://www.msu-footprints.org/>.
Also am the Campus Ambassador for India Education Program too, I need some
input from you guys.

The organizers of this event have basically no idea about what a community
is or how WP works, since I ll be targeting newbies I am planning to start
from Introduction to WP, then an editing session and main motto behind this
would be to start an active community in Baroda or Gujarat and get the
contributors to EN and GU WP and commons too.

Now the organizers are asking few questions like "Why anyone should attend
it?", "What would be the exclusivity of the workshop?", "How can we
(university and attendees) be benefited from this?". They are worried too
much about "exclusivity", how to convince them that these type of sessions
are some thing more than "exclusively in Footprints", "first time in
gujarat" ??

Since I have no experience in conducting an outreach workshop independently
I want your feedback on it, and what possibly should I answer them?.

Please do reply with your valuable suggestions/critics.

--
Thanks
Arnav (ricku).