[Wikimediaindia-l] Proposal: Wiki Marathon

Srikanth Lakshmanan srik.lak at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 07:45:50 UTC 2010

Nice idea Ravi, Tinu.

I would suggest lets not stick to a theme. Let people choose tasks for
themselves. For people who dont have specific tasks(read newcomers), we
could offer some from list of tasks. I say this because not everyone have
same level of ease with task like article creation / particular
subject(which i think led to decline of Collab Of Month in en.wiki) .Some of
you guys are too good at article creation, some like me are not so good at
it. I certainly have a block of writing anything more than a 2 line stub or
take days to complete an writing an article. There can are tasks like

* Creating / improving pages of your interest / locality / native / *what
ever*
* Adding references to unreferenced BLP
* Collaborating in person with other editors towards FA/GA [i accept its
more than 6 hours,but its unique oppurtunity having people together at same
time]
* Arm chair flickr hunt to add media to commons
* Translation
* De-orphaning pages with links
* Creating templates / navboxes
* Running AWB tasks like fixing redlinks/typos
* Categorization cleanups
* Even "writing a bot" / code something like(for) Arjuna's gyanpad etc.
* Creating newsletter / video tutorials,etc
* <INSERT YOUR IDEA OF CONTRIBUTION>

We could add more on a task page. The motto should be "creating / doing"
something for wikipedia (however small it could be) instead of talking /
listening. Of course if there are bunch of you who share a common interest
(like CWG), they can always collaborate

We could have a page on meta on the day of the meet and have everyone update
a page "What they are upto" and how they are going about it, and if they
could get help from fellow wikipedians.

I would prefer to call it Wiki Marathon / WikiParty [like openstreetmap
mapping parties].

Tinu, IMHO "Shut up and Edit" doesnt sound inclusive and might offend some
speakers.We need them!,love all :) . I guess it might have come from "shut
up and hack". Not sure if you know bunch of people flamed against it (ex:-
here <http://lawgon.livejournal.com/74396.html> just read the last para
first line. "nuff said")

Regards
Srikanth.L