[Wikimediaindia-l] Wikimedia India Chapter

Hari Prasad Nadig hpnadig at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 06:17:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Shahid Akhtar <
mohd.shahid_akhtar at rediffmail.com> wrote:

> Why is some like HPN who has not made even 100 edits in 2009 and 2010 to
> English, Kannada and Sanskrit Wikipedias combined together is at the
> forefront of this initiative, but some of the most important contributors
> from Indic wikipedias are not even a part of this?

While responses from many people to your email must have cleared up that the
edit count wasn't the criterion for the initial crew, what is the sanctity
in mentioning edit counts from just the last one year?

If you look carefully my edit counts on several projects and overall
contribution have been more substantial than the convenient numbers you have
projected out of the last one year. I've been involved in the projects for
last 6 years now, with contribution in various roles - including one as a
member at Chapters committee. The barn stars, the press quotes of events
I've organized, the articles I've written on media and the projects I've
been involved in surrounding wiki speak of my work here.

I would therefore be compelled to ask - do the edit counts (whether present
or past ones irrespective of whether it is substantial or not) solely speak
of all the Wiki related activity I've spent time on? Does it speak of the
innumerable hours I've spent as part of the EC? Does it speak of the
countless hours I've spent on improving Kannada Wikipedia and related
projects?

Many people in the community know me by my work surrounding Kannada language
projects, in bringing together people from Indian language projects and on
Unicode, Indic Computing apart from advocacy. If there was one time I have
not really been in the forefront of process of setting up a chapter - that
would be this time. I have coordinated all the earlier attempts except the
last one (although I was very much part of the last one as well). Please dig
up information before maligning any contributor with convenient split up of
stats on a public mailing list or before resorting to a personal attack. You
should know better to read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:No_personal_attacks

The last few years I've been more active in Wiki work other actual editing.
I believe that it is as important to the growth of the community as is the
activity that can be measured by stats on the projects. It is important that
we start giving importance to every role that contributes to the community
other than just the scalable activity in terms of edits.
--
Hari Prasad Nadig
http://hpnadig.net | http://twitter.com/hpnadig