[Wikimediaindia-l] Wikimedia India Chapter

Achal Prabhala aprabhala at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 08:57:54 UTC 2010

Brother Shahid, thanks for your comments, but for the record (and for
any other Indian Wikipedians who want to get things off their chest like
he did) please direct your criticism at me in the future, not the folks
who have worked incredibly hard over the last year to fashion the
bye-laws you see on Meta.

I've been on the Advisory Board of the Wikimedia Foundation since its
inception, towards the end of 2006. Like you, I'm an admirer and
supporter of the mission of Wikipedia, and of the work of the Wikimedia
Foundation. Over time, and with much subsequent interest from various
people within Wikimedia, it became clear that the lack of an Indian
chapter was an obstacle. An obstacle for Wikipedians like you; an
obstacle that prevented people in India from doing everything they could
to help Wikipedia grow. As there were several Wikipedians who wanted to
form a chapter but were seemingly unable to, between 2008 and 2009, I
contacted anyone who had previously expressed an interest in setting up
an Indian chapter. These are people who had interacted here on
WikimediaIndia-l, and also on meta, or who had written in to Cary Bass
at the Wikimedia Foundation in his capacity as volunteer coordinator.
The folks whose names you now see on the Indian chapter bye-laws are
those who stepped up from among a vast list to give roughly one year of
their time - a couple of hours a day, several hours a week, to make this
happen.

Was the process perfect? No. But was it a fair process, given the
options and constraints? Yes. Is the group of people that drafted the
MoA perfectly representative of the Indian Wikipedian community? No. But
are they as representative as was possible? Yes. Personally (and
everyone who has been associated with the Indian chapter will agree) I
don't believe we have enough Wikipedians from North India, or North-East
India; I also don't believe we have enough female Indian Wikipedians on
board. This is a pity; but this is also an opportunity, as long as it's
stated upfront - as I have in several emails to this list before - for
both increasing membership to the chapter from specific regions and from
women, and for reconstituting the legally required stewards of this
process from time to time with appropriately representative members. I
appreciate you pointing out the flaws. But I don't appreciate you
assuming that no one had considered these flaws before. And I would
appreciate you participating in a manner that can correct the imbalances
that exist in the ensuing Wikimedia India chapter, now and later.

The process, as you will understand, is complicated and there have been
several ups and downs. ChapCom (the Chapters Committee) has stringent
requirements; Indian tax law is complicated and rigorous to say the
least. This process also required money to host people from various
different cities in one place for a meeting, to hire an accountant, to
get constant legal and tax advice - and the organisation that stepped up
to fill this gap is a new and vibrant non-profit called the Centre for
Internet and Society (www.cis-india.org). We're now at that lucky stage
when our rules comply with everyone concerned. What the rules need,
however, is your input.

Now, while I appreciate your concern and criticism, can I ask you in
turn, why it is so easy to lash out with no restraint and so hard to
actually contribute positively? I don't see your input on the India
strategy (http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Task_force/India). I can't
see your input on meta
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_India/MoA). And this is
despite numerous messages, announcements and entreaties for
contribution. Everything I've written here in this email, I've written
before to WikimediaIndia-l, so this is not new, but you don't seem to
have been reading your messages. And you must start doing so.

There are several thousands of Wikipedians in India who want to help,
and not all of them are prolific editors, indeed some of them help in
other ways, and we should welcome them all, while realising the
invaluable role that editors play in making this thing we love. You are
scaring them away - and I am pointing this out because I don't think you
want to; you wouldn't be on this list if you didn't want to help make
Wikimedia better.

I ask that you please join us in this exciting new phase for Wikimedia
in India. Like you, I plan to apply for membership of the society as
soon as the India chapter commences, and like you - I hope - I plan to
submit my ideas on what the India chapter should do. Perhaps we will
even meet in person. I'm actually very fond of wining and dining, and it
would be my pleasure to show you some hospitality in the Wikimedia way:
I promise to buy you a plate of idlis and a glass of water the next time
we're in the same city.

Best wishes,
Achal