[Wikimediaau-l] chapter governance

Adam Karpathakis adza at live.com.au
Mon Dec 21 07:40:33 UTC 2009

Hello,

Shouldn't this be on the members list? When I go onto Google I can search this list..... It's not hard, and it may not be desirable either.

When the chapter adopts a position it takes responsibility (Legal, ethical, whatever) for that position. The chapter is a legal entity which is separate from the people in it, so would not normally take a position. The best model for this is to have a central place which decides and can consider the implications, something members may not be well placed to do individually although they can of course offer their ideas and thoughts. For example the government of the day is making this proposition, but we also have to deal with and negotiate with the government of the day on other issues and "joining the revolution" may endanger projects which are steaming along, I am not saying that is the case but just giving an example. I for one as a member trust the committee we have elected to make those decisions.

As I understand it but correct me if I'm wrong, any member can go out into the public arena and advocate for his or her opinion and make submissions and be active (I know I certainly plan to!) but that is "Adam" or "Privatemusings" it is not "Wikimedia Australia" and what we say does not reflect on it, what it says doesn't reflect on us either.

best (and merry Christmas), Adam