[Wikimediaau-l] Sydney Met Up

private musings thepmaccount at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 04:07:04 UTC 2008

We did indeed :-)

Change of venue from the usual haunt at the Paragon, 7 intrepid Wikimedians
met at Philip's Foote in the Rocks. It was great to read bits of Liam's
thesis related to Wikipedia (he certainly feels great that it's complete!)
and generally chit chat away about a range of topics.

Most present seemed to be up for coming along to the Sydney Wiki Wednesday
next month - suggestions for presentation topics were a bit thin though, so
if anyone has any ideas, do pipe up :-)

Inevitably, we talked about the Chapter a bit - I mentioned that the concept
of sub-national chapters is likely to come up in the US, and the strong
consensus was that Australia (or at least NSW) is not really interested in
the idea of sub-chapters at the mo - the best way forward being under a
unified Oz 'Wikimedia' Flag. We also speculated a bit about when the AGM
might happen, with thoughts ranging from 'unlikely to happen this year' to
'that's really not cool, it should happen sooner' (ok! the observant among
members of this list will likely spot me as the originator of that one!).
The feeling overall remains 'warm and fuzzy' about the chapter, with a
slight undercurrent of 'please try and keep us in the loop'.

It was great to have a wide age range, and to have wiki types of divergent
interests and experience there, and just was generally a good 'ol time....
pity I missed the desert....

cheers all,

Peter
PM.