[Wikimediaau-l] SFD, ACEC, LCA

Peter Halasz qubero at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 08:47:59 UTC 2008

Great work, Brianna! It's great you're out there talking about
Wikipedia and fielding questions.

The types of questions got me thinking though. Obviously people are
already very familiar with Wikipedia. I'd like to see use that more to
our advantage. Instead of "educating" people about Wikipedia (who
already see it every day), it would be good to also work with them on
their issues, and facilitate solutions. It's a different style of
learning and presenting, but it seems appropriate.

For example, you're in a room full (or not so full) of teachers. One
asks how to deal with 3rd graders using Wikipedia uncritically. And
somehow you're the one who's meant to have the answer? Even if you do
have an answer (like using schools-wikipedia.org which I have to say I
had never heard of before) I'm sure there'd be others who have had to
deal with the same problem sitting in audience already with other
ideas. The person presenting shouldn't feel they're the one who has to
have all the answers.

I think it'd be great if we could start using techniques of
"facilitating" (yes, that word) which can engage the audience and
lessen the burden of the instructor, and help everyone learn more.
It'd be good to look at moving towards having us facilitate as much as
presenting.

The only reference for this style of teaching I can find online is The
Change Agency < http://www.thechangeagency.org/ >, which deals with
activists group. But active, facilitated learning (as opposed to
passive lecturing) is really the cornerstone of modern education
theory. Starting with the audience's own experiences is really the
only way to teach. (and yes, I consider giving a presentation to be
"teaching")

So anyway, in sum up my ramblings, I think what Brianna's doing is
great! (Please don't take this as criticism) I also think it'd be good
if we started doing some "active learning" (which I might also call:
facilitating, radical education, constructivist learning, or just
"modern education theory" but I can't find any wiki article on the
general concepts.)

I don't expect anyone to change styles overnight. There's theory and
skills to learn. But if people are interested in the idea of using
more audience-engaging styles of presentation, I'd like to get a
workshop together or maybe find a trainer (facilitator) for people who
want to be Wikimedia presenters. Is there interest in this?

And lastly, I know we have a great list of activities, but it would
good to start drawing on the wider community for what they want,
rather than telling them what they need.

Peter Halasz.

To give you a bit more of an idea, the change agency has these bullet points...

"The educational principles and practices (or pedagogy) that guide our
work include:"

	experiential and empowered learning
	listening and reflection
	mentorship
	questioning, not telling
	exercises linked to real and contemporary change work
	building a 'container' or learning environment characterised by
trust, openness, honesty, self-critique, mutual respect and support.