[Wikimediaau-l] SFD, ACEC, LCA

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 16:13:51 UTC 2008

On 06/10/2008, at 1:26 AM, Brianna Laugher wrote:

[snip]

2- Australian Computers in Education Conference. This is a conference
held every two years in a different city each time. It's pretty huge,
and really quite professional. I gave a talk about Wikipedia in
schools. I covered Wikipedia basics (ie encyclopedia, website, not for
profit, multilingual, wiki/community, and free content), some tools
for analysing article histories, what different types of projects
might be relevant, and finally the inclusion of Wikipedia in the HSC
English (NSW) curriculum. There's links and slides (and some audio I
recorded after I got back!) all on here:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Pfctdayelise/Safe_wiki>

I will give a presentation at VITTA (Victorian IT Teachers Assoc) in
late November basically on the same topic, except (1) it will be
hands-on, in a computer lab - woot! and (2) I won't need to talk about
the HSC. So I would really appreciate it if anyone has a listen/look
at the stuff and if you think I missed something worth mentioning
please bring it up.

I thought that was a great presentation you gave "safe wiki". I like
the comparison with abstinence education. I have always used the
"banning of rock-n-roll" example myself but they both have their charm!

Back to ACEC, my talk was not super well attended, but with 14
simultaneous streams I was not too concerned!

Another was from a teacher who asked what to do for grades 3-6 kids
who use Wikipedia unquestioningly. For students this age it is a bit
harder to know what to do, because they're probably a bit young to do
the whole critical thinking thing. I didn't have any good ideas. Does
anyone?

Well, I would suggest that the school get them to use Wikipedia's
School Edition - the 08/09 cut having just been released:
http://schools-wikipedia.org/
As for how to deal with the potentially weird/inappropriate stuff
they might find on the normal WP I would suggest that they are less
likely to find things on Wikipedia that offend or give them false
information than in most places on the internet. I would prefer that
they use wikipedia to search for their school-project on the
reproductive system than google... Therefore, I think the question
shouldn't be how to use WP but rather how to use the internet in
general. That's something that I'm sure they've already talked about
and have statewide policies for.

If the question was not regarding inappropriate material but was
rather referring to how to discuss the idea of textual criticism with
a 10 year old, then I'm a bit stumped. Surely there is some
pedagogical theory on this stuff that someone knows?

[snip]

whew...

cheers,
Brianna