[Wikimediaau-l] Announcement - publication with CCau

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 13:10:04 UTC 2008

Hi,

I mentioned this briefly in last week's minutes, but this week we
finalised it all, so I will talk about it in a bit more detail. I am
happy to say that we are going to work on a joint publication with
Creative Commons Australia (CCau), to be launched at the "Free as in
Freedom" miniconf I am organising at the Linux conference in late
January. (<http://freeasinfreedom.modernthings.org/>)

I still haven't figured out a good name for it (possibly "Handbook for
Partipatory Culture in Australia", but gosh that's long), but it will
basically be a good companion to the miniconf, with brief
intro/overviews to lots of themes that we are familiar with relating
to openness and freedom - see the initial list here:
<http://wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Participatory_Culture_Primer> And there
will be some "essential links" for each topic, as well as information
particular to the Australian context.

Basically it will work like this: we supply all the content, they
supply the layout and printing. I think it is an excellent plan that
plays to the strengths of both groups. We should supply the content by
the end of December or earlier. Of course it will be under a free
license, probably CC-BY-SA.

This is an idea I came up with when I was planning my miniconf and
thinking about what themes to include. I thought writing a bit about
each one would force me to learn about it properly, and then if I was
going to do that, I may as well make a little booklet, and then I may
as well make it a WMAU thing, and then I may as well see if CCau was
interested in helping out...... :)

Beyond the conference, I think it will be a useful document to really
act as a "primer" for people who have not yet been exposed to these
kinds of ideas, and really show the breadth and interconnectedness of
them too.

So I'm kind of thinking, in a worst case scenario I will write most of
it myself, but I certainly hope that doesn't end up being the case,
not because I would hate to do so but because it's more fun to work
with other people and get their perspectives.

Also, name suggestions are _extremely_ welcome. :)

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/