[Wikimediaau-l] Melbourne Wikimania 2010

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 07:08:42 UTC 2008

2008/7/30 Angela <beesley at gmail.com>:
>> Disclaimer: I am intending to submit a miniconf proposal for LCA09,
>> with Adam Hyde ( en.flossmanuals.net ) called "Free as in Freedom"
>> (free software ethics, free culture, open access, open educational
>> resources etc). Naturally Wikimedia fits under this umbrella and I
>> would welcome any Wikimedian submissions if the miniconf is gets
>> accepted. :)
>
> A Wikimedia mini-mini conf. :)
>
> Sounds good, since I'm attending anyway. Considering the price
> barriers, shall we set a different date for the "practice wikimania"?
> Small events that same weekend sound good, but that's not the same as
> working together on one event.

True, but the "distributed conf" idea is more like a "practice
practice Wikimania". ;) (As Nick alludes I see a distributed conf
being more like a Barcamp/unconference event... yeah wikicamp!)

If we want to organise a national event, how about the Easter holidays?
2009 April 15 (Wed) - April 18 (Sat)

This is inside all the states' school holidays, and probably the unis
too (doesn't seem to be an easy way to check them all at once).

Pro: holding during the holidays means more people can attend.
Con: travel will be more expensive.

Or, we could try to hold something on a weekend during the term. But I
just think it will be too hard for people to attend, then.

Brianna

http://modernthings.org/