[Wikimediaau-l] Follow up from 'Building an Australasian commons' event

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 13:56:45 UTC 2008

Hi all,

As I mentioned a week or two ago (!), I went to the Creative Commons
Australia 1-day conference "Building an Australasian commons".
<http://creativecommons.org.au/australasiancommons> I think it's good
for free content/free license/open access type events to have some
kind of "Wikimedian presence".

I took part in one of the afternoon workshops called "Social
Softwares: Blogs, Wikis + Web 2.0". Our numbers were way overestimated
and only like a dozen people showed up, none of whom were
super-interested in wikis I think, but I made them listen to some
wiki-talk nonetheless. ;)

Aside from that it was a great day to find out about cool projects
other people are involved in. Like the ABC is soon launching
http://pool.org.au , a media-sharing site, actually prompted by Radio
National somehow I scribbled down that the initial set of licenses
they will let people choose are: CC-zero, CC-BY-NC, CC-BY-NC-ND and
all rights reserved. (Now that is a bizarre set if I ever saw one, God
knows how they came to that decision)

Anyway the best session for me was one by Seb Chan from the Powerhouse
Museum, talking about their experience being part of Flickr's "the
Commons" with the Tyrell collection. He even mentioned Wikimedia
Commons by name, but unfortunately it wasn't a favourable one. :) He
was talking about how their images get transferred from Flickr to
Wikimedia Commons, and then they lose the ability to track their
statistics. Well duh! We have the statistics, all we have to do is
write them up pretty and offer them! I had a big flashbulb go off at
that talk. :)
I talked to him and Paula Bray, another PhMer, during the afternoon,
and they were very happy about the idea of getting usage stats of
their images at Wikimedia.
I floated it on commons-l.
<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/commons-l/2008-July/003924.html>
It's quite an obvious idea, really, and yet could go a good way
towards helping institutions be more comfortable with their content
being on Wikimedia.

Apart from that I was mostly thinking about the similarities and
differences between Creative Commons and Wikimedia, and what we can
learn from them.
<http://brianna.modernthings.org/article/111/ccau-building-an-australasian-commons-conference-notes>
CCau is really organised and well-connected, so we could do worse than
have them as friends, I think. :)

Anyway that's my conference notes. If you have any questions please fire away.

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/