[Wikimediaau-l] Wikipedia and schools

Craig Franklin craig at halo-17.net
Thu Dec 11 12:13:42 UTC 2008

I think you've misinterpreted what I'm proposing.  I agree with you in regards to "offline content", it takes away entirely one of the chief advantages of an online encyclopaedia - that is, being up to date.  If this project happens, I fully support the main mode of delivery being a website that students can access, and which can be periodically updated (although a download is probably still a good idea for the handful of places where an online interactive site can't be supported, such as extremely remote schools with limited or no internet connectivity).

1) I've talked to two teachers in the past few days, and asked them specifically for their thoughts on Wikipedia.  One said "there's porn on that site, so we don't allow students to use it at school", and the other cited the usual concerns about data being incorrect, incomplete, etc.  I realise that the opinions of two teachers don't cover the opinions of all teachers, but I'd wager that their views are not unusual.  As we all know, neither of these concerns are particularly true, but nevertheless, the perception continues to persist.

2) I think that highlighting Wikipedia's best content and delivering it is a laudable endeavour.  There's lots of great content, but there's also lots of not-so-great content.  While we work on getting the not-so-great stuff up to scratch, why not provide a sample of the good stuff to get people interested?  Especially if we can tie in the good content with topics teachers want to teach.  It can also be a useful tool to find out what content we need to concentrate on improving (that is, what the general public, our "customers", are interested in).

3) Obviously, we'd have to talk to education departments to see what they want.  But even without talking to them, it's obvious that there are some gaps, which it won't take that much effort to fill in.

4) See my comments above.  This is an entirely separate issue, in my view.

I'm well aware that with all things, there will be disagreement on whether this is a suitable use of our time.  However, my view is that this will cost WMau nothing, not take up that much work (relatively speaking), and can possibly lead to some good press, help spread the knowledge around, and perhaps help recruit the next generation of Wiki-contributors.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Franklin
PO Box 1093