[Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Hungary Report for April 2011

Bence Damokos bence.damokos at wiki.media.hu
Thu Aug 18 20:30:26 UTC 2011

Dear all,

Please find below the report on Wikimedia Hungary's activities in April
2011. It is available online at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters/Reports/Wikim%C3%A9dia_Magyarorsz%C3%A1g/April_2011
.

Best regards,
--
Bence Damokos
Executive Vice President,

*Wikimedia Hungary Report*
*Vol 4 Issue 4*
*April 2011*
*Prepared by: Bence Damokos*

This is an update on Wikimédia Magyarország's activities covering April
2011. For more recent updates, you can follow our blog (in Hungarian) at
http://blog.wikimedia.hu
 Presentations

In the month of April, we have held presentations about Wikipedia on the
following occasions:

   - 8: A presentation at the the Apáczai High School in Budapest
   - 13: A presentation at the Humanities Faculty of the St Stephen
   University in Jászberény. The audience included students of library studies.
   - 26: A presentation at the Budapest University of Technology and
   Economics

Partnerships

   - We have discussed collaboration opportunities with Arcanum, a publisher
   of digitised versions of out-of-copyright books, encyclopedias, maps and
   similar. In this spirit we have signed a partnership agreement with the
   publisher at the XVIII. International Book Fair of Budapest. (Press release:
   http://wikimedia.hu/wiki/Egy%C3%BCttm%C5%B1k%C3%B6d%C3%A9si_meg%C3%A1llapod%C3%A1s_az_Arcanum_Adatb%C3%A1zis_Kiad%C3%B3val
    )
   - We have also had a meeting with the researchers at the Hungarian
   Academy of Science (MTA-SZTAKI institute) about the possibility of using
   their anti-plagiarism software to detect copyright violations on Wikipedia.

Grants

   - We have submitted a report (
   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:WM_HU/Wikiconference/Report ) on
   our 10th anniversary conference held in January. Videos of the event are
   available on our YouTube channel at: http://youtube.com/WikimediaHU.
   - Also, we have submitted a report on the 4.3 million forint ($22000)
   grant we have received from the Hungarian Council of Internet Providers to
   buy a server (see previous coverage in August 2010:
   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters/Reports/Wikim%C3%A9dia_Magyarorsz%C3%A1g/August_2010#Council_of_Hungarian_Internet_Providers
   )
   - In April we have received notification that our 0.25 million forint
   ($1250) grant request for the National Civil Fund was approved. The grant,
   covering June to September 2011 is intended to cover the costs of the
   development of a CiviCRM credit card gateway and the printing of outreach
   publications.

Wikisprint
 <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Herbert_Marshall_McLuhan_drawing.jpg>
 <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Herbert_Marshall_McLuhan_drawing.jpg>
Marshall McLuhan <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_McLuhan>

A group called Kitchen Budapest has organized a Wikipedia editing sprint at
Műcsarnok, one of the biggest art exhibition halls in Budapest to celebrate
the 100th anniversary of Marshall McLuhan's birthday. As part of the sprint,
they created and improved the McLuhan article in the Hungarian Wikipedia.

A short video and a description of the event is available in English at:
http://mcluhan100.kibu.hu/wikisprint/?lang=en
 Meetings

On 4th April we held a board meeting in a Budapest café to discuss pending
projects, approve new members, the transfer of our share of the Wikimedia
Fundraiser (see previous report) and similar. The minutes are available (in
Hungarian) at:
http://wikimedia.hu/wiki/Eln%C3%B6ks%C3%A9gi_%C3%BCl%C3%A9s_%E2%80%93_2011._%C3%A1prilis_4
.
While the meeting was convened as a board meeting, it was public, and
therefore we had quite a few of our members present.
PR

We have issued a press release and a blog post to mark the 10 millionth
media file on Commons:
http://wikimedia.hu/wiki/T%C3%ADzmilli%C3%B3_szabad_k%C3%A9p_a_Wikip%C3%A9dia_testv%C3%A9roldal%C3%A1n
,http://huwiki.blogspot.com/2011/04/10-millio-szabadon-hasznalhato-kep.html
 Fundraising

Wikimedia Hungary participated in the 2009/2010 fundraiser as a partner of
the Wikimedia Foundation. The amount of donations raised in Hungary in April
was 15 000 forints ($75) by Wikimedia Hungary, and $17.8 by the Wikimedia
Foundation.