[Wikimedia NYC] Welcome to the list! And introducing Columbia Free Culture

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 23:51:33 UTC 2008

Welcome,

This list now has 30+ subscribers, which is a pretty good start!

I hope this can be a forum for more free-ranging and detailed
discussions than are possible on-wiki, and also a place to send out
timely notices about upcoming events.

This is an open mailing list, and the posts will be viewable to the public.

I think a good starting post should introduce our friends at the
[[Students for Free Culture]] chapter at Columbia University.  The
Free Culture Columbia people are really enthusiastic about holding a
big [[Wikipedia:Academy]] event this semester, and we'll need some
volunteers for that.  There will probably be speakers, an
article-writing drive, and a scavenger hunt across the city by
students snapping requested photographs.  I've already had a couple of
meetings with this group (they meet every Wednesday).

http://www.freeculturecolumbia.org/

If anyone wants to join me, I won't be there every Wednesday, but I do
plan on attending semi-regularly; I think it would be good to consider
the Free Culture Columbia meetings a "home away from home" for us
(especially as we have been having our own meetings at Columbia
University).  I am going to be there this upcoming Wednesday (February
27).

And we're also lucky to have a couple of members of Columbia Free
Culture on this mailing list, which should facilitate cooperation
between our two groups.  If anyone wants to bring up issues of mutual
interest, this will be a great forum for that.

I've already put out some feelers on a possible writing focus for a
Wikiopedia Academy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(miscellaneous)#Neglected_subject_area_needed_for_Wikipedia:Academy_content_drive_by_novice_Wikipedians
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Pharos#Wikipedia_Academy

I'm also working on a usable list of city articles which need photos,
for the scavenger hunt.

Feel free to contribute to these discussions.

The (very) tentative date for the Wikipedia Academy we've been
discussing is Friday March 28 or thereabouts.

The next chapter meeting of Wikimedia NYC is of course scheduled for
Sunday March 16.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC

Tonight I'm going to be visiting for the first time with the Students
for Free Culture chapter at NYU.

http://www.freeculturenyu.org/

Thanks,
Pharos