[Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Martijn Hoekstra martijnhoekstra at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 07:43:20 UTC 2014

On Jan 13, 2014 7:25 AM, "MZMcBride" <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Steven Walling wrote:
> >With my "product manager for Growth" hat on... Like Kaldari said we can't
> >give people who aren't logged in Echo notifications at the moment. The
> >only alternative is to post to the IP talk page. This would require us to
> >basically build a user account, i.e. a bot, in to Thanks to deliver a
Talk
> >page message for the IP.
>
> I don't follow what you're saying about a bot account being the only
> alternative. You can use the exact same user interface exposure (i.e.,
> little "(thanks)" links) and simply post to the IP's talk page rather than
> creating an Echo (logged-in user) notification. I can't see any need for a
> separate bot account.
>
> >That's probably not going to happen, to be honest, and there isn't the
> >manpower behind Echo right now to design/build proper anonymous
> >notifications. If you're gung-ho about this idea I think Nemo is right,
> >just use the Talk page. :)
>
> Ignoring Echo and the Thanks extension-specific logging, if I had to
> guess, I imagine strictly adding in the ability to thank anonymous users
> would take about thirty minutes of work. We've had a stable API for
> posting talk page messages for years and the user interface code is
> already written and deployed. As far as I can tell, you'd simply do a
> quick check after someone clicks the thanks link and then clicks "ok" that
> goes something like...
>
> if ( target user is anon ) { post to IP talk page }
>
> else if ( target user is logged in ) { send Echo notification }
>
> If you're gung-ho about implementing the ability to thank anonymous users,
> I think the correct answer is to submit a changeset with proposed
> modifications to the Thanks extension to make that dream a reality.
>
> MZMcBride

Tangentially related, have we ever considered adding the required fields
for creating an account, username and password, to the edit interface for
IP editors? We could have a save edit as attributed to your IP button as we
have now, and next to it a save as new user with those two fields. Has such
a setup been discussed before? (I understand there is probably more reading
to be presented for creating an account, but there probably are reasonably
user friendly solutions to be found that don't deter the anon edit that it
would lead to a net loss of edits)