[Wikimedia-l] Paid editing v. paid advocacy (editing)

Craig Franklin cfranklin at halonetwork.net
Sat Jan 11 13:28:24 UTC 2014

I think it's actually foolish to try and split hairs over what is
acceptable paid editing and what is unacceptable paid editing.  The facts
of the matter are that paid editing is taking place right now, and it will
continue to take place regardless of whatever "bright lines" are drawn in
the sand.  The only question is whether it's done in a covert manner, or a
transparent manner.

Rather than arguing over the irrelevant question of whether it is desirable
to have paid editing or not, we need instead to be talking about how we are
going to handle it.  To my view, that should be requiring that anyone
editing for money be upfront about their intentions and their edits, and
letting the community scrutinise those edits and deal with them just like
they'd deal with them if they came from any other editor.

Cheers,
Craig