[Wikimedia-l] Paid editing v. paid advocacy (editing)

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 18:17:47 UTC 2014

Arne Klempert, 10/01/2014 17:51:
> I've heard that before from Wikipedians. However, it does not match
> with what communication professionals keep telling me. Even larger
> companies with solid communication departments are usually not in a
> place to spend enough ressources to correct their articles beyond
> basic facts. [...]

That only means that their return on investment is too little for them,
not that they wouldn't have enough resources. Usually, that's because
what they're trying to do is impossible, so they keep hitting a wall.
Wiki-PR's very reasonable prices show that the job can be very
cost-effective and not so heavy, if one knows what can survive in the
system.
In my experience, every time you talk with a company's communication
person you have to spend hours convincing them that every single thing
they thought or wanted to do on Wikipedia is totally impossible, then
after a complete mind-reset you can teach them the simple things they
can do successfully. Things could be much smoother, but our approaches
are too inefficient (or our resources insufficient by several orders of
magnitudes with current approaches) for the necessary mass-education of
communication professionals to happen and enable them to productive
interaction.

Nemo