[Wikimedia-l] A Multimedia Vision for 2016

Fabrice Florin fflorin at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 10 00:36:01 UTC 2014

Happy new year, everyone!

Many thanks to all of you who contributed to our multimedia programs last year! Now that we have a new multimedia team at WMF, we look forward to making some good progress together this year.

To kick off the new year, here is a proposed multimedia vision for 2016, which was prepared by our multimedia and design teams, with guidance from community members:

http://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/01/09/multimedia-vision-2016/

This possible scenario is intended for discussion purposes, to help us visualize how we could improve our user experience over the next three years. We hope that it will spark useful community feedback on some of the goals we are considering.

After you’ve viewed the video, we would be grateful if you could share your feedback in this discussion:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Multimedia_Features/Vision_2016

We are looking from feedback from all users who benefit from Commons, even if their work takes place on other sites. This vision explores ways to integrate Wikimedia Commons more closely with Wikipedia and other MediaWiki projects, to help users contribute more easily to our free media repository -- wherever they are.

In coming weeks, we will start more focused discussions on some key features outlined in this presentation. If you would like to join those conversations and stay informed on our work, we invite you to subscribe to our multimedia mailing list:

We look forward to more great collaborations in the new year!

All the best,

Fabrice
on behalf of the Multimedia team

Fabrice Florin