[Wikimedia-l] Paid editing v. paid advocacy (editing)

Frank Schulenburg fschulenburg at wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 9 18:19:00 UTC 2014

Thank you for highlighting something I should have clarified better in my post, MZMcBride. That sentence should have read "paid advocacy editing" in line with Sue's blog post that you referenced.

We continue to support the important work Sarah and others have done in the GLAM sector through projects like Wikipedians in Residence.

Frank

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 6:22 PM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
Frank Schulenburg wrote:
>[...] it is widely known that paid editing is frowned upon by many in the
>editing community and by the Wikimedia Foundation.

No.

Paid editing is not the same as paid advocacy (editing). This is a very
important point.

Suggested reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Dominic/FAQ
https://blog.wikimedia.org/?p=25830

N.B. an example of paid editing that few would likely have an issue with
in the first link and Sue's careful and correct wording in the second link.

If we're going to have such a fine distinction, we should probably better
document it to avoid misunderstandings.

MZMcBride