[Wikimedia-l] WMF employee writing articles for $300

Russavia russavia.wikipedia at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 08:58:22 UTC 2014

You are right Kevin, and I think that the blog post has drawn the
wrong conclusions by failing to see one piece of telling evidence on
an unrelated posting on that site.

At the job link at https://www.odesk.com/jobs/~01fb1fd477c79e30b0
(again, uploaded to
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8j_w_yHF5ymdHQzTkJkRkY5TWM/edit?usp=sharing)
one can see that the client is in the United States in the -8 GMT time
zone (Indianapolis being in the -5 GMT time zone). This obviously does
not match for the bar article.

On the right-hand side, you will see that they have posted two jobs,
but have hired only one client. At the bottom you will see "Client's
Work History and Feedback (1)" and only this job is available there.
When you go to Sarah's profile, and click on "Wikipedia Page for
Individual" it says the job is private, hence why the "Client's Work
History and Feedback" on the aforementioned job only shows one job. So
it would appear that Sarah has been hired by this client for both
their jobs.

At 13:15 on 7 October, Sarah posted
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leadership_Challenge. This is most
likely the article for the job at
https://www.odesk.com/jobs/~01fb1fd477c79e30b0 -- and the client went
out of his way to contact Sarah to apply for this job, as you can see
from "Client" in the initiator column (as explained at
https://www.odesk.com/community/node/29357)

Then in December, the client who was obviously happy with her work
from October, commissioned Sarah to write
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Posner_(academic) (the author of
the book from the October article) and paid her $300. From that
article, one can see that Posner is in Santa Clara, California, which
is -8 GMT, which of course ties up with the -8 GMT column in the
October job listing on the right hand side.

My apologies in presenting the Indianapolis article; it's surprising
that the bar article which reads like an advert is legit, whilst the
articles which look legit (yet still very weak sourcewise) are likely
the problematic articles.

Sarah, when you read this, again I don't give a rats if you are
paid-editing, more power to you actually. Unfortunately in this
instance you haven't done so in what one would deem to be an ethical
way based upon what the community expects, and which has been
reinforced over and over, especially in recent months. So there will
obviously be those who want to cast you out because paid-editing is
evil and should not be tolerated. But hopefully cooler heads will
prevail all round, not only in your case. I would well advise you to
be totally upfront in any explanation, including anything that may be
done via Sarah Stierch Consulting either currently or in the past. You
obviously see a need for paid-editing, and it is a shame that you had
to, as Dariusz mentions, resort to the "black market" and blackhat
what you are/were doing. Open your profiles up for public view,
quickly correct anything that you should have done to begin with, and
publicly commit yourself to doing such editing the ethical way. Then
all talk of "Bright Line Policy", etc can be put to rest, and not just
in your case, and then discussion on solid policies, etc as Dariusz
also mentions can occur, and you would be better placed to advocate in
that regard.

Cheers,

Russavia