[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [WikiEN-l] access to journals

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Sep 25 10:44:48 UTC 2013

On 9/24/13 10:13 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> On 24 September 2013 14:06, Liam Wyatt <liamwyatt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm now working for the National Library of Australia and we offer free, at
>> home, access to JSTOR and MANY other restricted access databases to any
>> Australian, if they get a free library card.
>> Is this unique to Australia?
> My free library subscription in Birmingham, England, gets me access -
> from home or indeed anywhere else - to a number of otherwise-paywalled
> online databases and services <http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/libsubs>.

In Denmark, and I believe most of the USA, the norm is only on-site
access to subscriptions, for the general public. University-affiliated
researchers do have the option to login remotely, or VPN in to get an
institutional IP address offsite. But the general public has to use
library computers to access the subscriptions, or (in some cases) their
own computers on the library WiFi.

-Mark