[Wikimedia-l] [Labs-l] Wikimedia labs-tools

faewik at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 16:01:02 UTC 2013

On 11 September 2013 16:45, Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
> There was a recent mail saying that Labs is not considered "production"
> stability. Mainly a disagreement about how many 9s in the 99.99999% that
> represents.

<tangent>
A familiar rookie error in adding meaningless commitments in
operational support contracts. No matter how many (fantasy) 9's
recurring after the decimal reassures you that the risk lower than an
asteroid wiping out the human race tomorrow, when you ask what damages
you get back if the system goes down for an actual day or an actual
week, the answer tends to be zero.

I remember the 1980's when us software engineers used to talk about
hot-swapping, triple-redundancy and service level guarantees. Out of
vogue now I guess in the new world of Agile response teams, zero-hour
contracted support etc.

Fae
--
faewik at gmail.com http://j.mp/faewm