[Wikimedia-l] Please, let's save the Wikipedia - from itself

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Thu Sep 5 16:31:34 UTC 2013

On 05.09.2013 14:05, Anders Wennersten wrote:
> It is no magic
> *yearly reelection of administrators/sysops has meant no bullying
> types are sysops any more
> *we are a small community with just a few hundred active. And we have
> decided to treat everyone (who are serious) as valuable individuals,
> and go a very long way to make all feeling welcome, stop behaving as
> overdog/underdog and also to try special solutions for troublesome
> users that enable them to not being blocked but having restrictions on
> certain type of activities. Both people who have temporary maniac
> periods and with autism symptoms can be useful contributers if handled
> right by the communities.
>
> But these experiences can not be extended to everywhere. en:wp have
> 20 times the number of contributers then sv:wp and of course this
> means need of different ways of handling problems. I do not pretend to
> have anything to teach en:wp, but as said I find nothing useful for
> sv:wp hearing of the challenges on en:wp
>
> Anders

Actually, the strongest insult I ever felt on a Wikimedia project (I
mean not a "fuck you" from a random vandal, and not a "this guy does not
understand anything" or "this admin does not know the policies" or "stop
POV editing" from a troublesome user, but a real insult from a user in
good standing), was in the Swedish Wikipedia in 2010.

This is my personal experience, and I am not trying to generalize. Just
wanted to note.

Cheers
Yaroslav