[Wikimedia-l] Office hours for VisualEditor

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 16:48:54 UTC 2013

On 30 October 2013 12:32, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi at gmx.net> wrote:

> * Risker wrote:
> >Just to clarify, since 0000 UTC is a confusing time for most of us...is
> >that the minute after 2359 UTC on November 2 (i.e., 7 hours after the
> first
> >session), or is it the minute after 2359 UTC on November 3?
> >
> >I've seen it used both ways so I just want to be clear.
>
> Could you elaborate on this confusion and where you think it is common?
> The 24 hour clock divides a day into 24 hours from 0 to 23 starting at
> midnight. 23:59 is 23 hours and 59 minutes after 00:00 on the same day.
>
>   2013-11-03T00:00Z --+
>   2013-11-03T00:01Z   |
>   ...                 |
>   2013-11-03T00:59Z   |-- November 3rd
>   2013-11-03T01:00Z   |
>   ...                 |
>   2013-11-03T23:59Z --+
>   2013-11-04T00:00Z
>
> The minute after 2013-11-03T23:59Z is on November 4th. I do understand
> that when setting a deadline you are better off giving the end of a day
> as deadline so the time is up when the day is over, otherwise people see
> a contradiction and get confused, but beyond that I've not encountered
> this particular confusion.
> --

Bjoern, it might just be that I am old and remember the ancient days when
the 24-hour clock was first coming into use outside of the military; it was
common back then to see a time like 00:01 written as 24:01.  The fact that
we have a date change creates the mental expectation that there will be a
day's end before the next meeting, but for people in North America, this is
early afternoon vs late afternoon/early evening.

But yeah....I just asked a simple question, and I've got a nice answer.
I've also got a fair amount of slogging.  Let's end this thread now, okay?

Risker