[Wikimedia-l] New access to non-public information policy, re-ID requirements and data retention

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 06:34:35 UTC 2013

MZMcBride, 24/10/2013 05:47:
> Marc A. Pelletier wrote:
>> Seriously, however, I can understand why some current holders of rights
>> might have reservations about a policy that tightens greatly how private
>> information is handled and how much vetting is done on who does the
>> handling; but that tightening does very much need to take place.
>
> Says who? I've been trying to get a clear answer to this question for the
> past few days.

Seconded. The last message by legals on the talk page doesn't address
this root issue.

> The access to non-public info policy is the Board's
> creation and the Board's prerogative. Is the Board interested in updating
> this policy? If not, then politely: why are we having this conversation?
> If so, why and in what ways would the Board like to see the policy updated?

Apparently, legals say that the current policy is too flexible for the
board to have really meant approving it, so of course the board will
like to change his mind and make it much stricter, while if one wanted
to keep it as flexible as it is now one would need the board to change
his mind. Hmmmmmm.

Nemo