[Wikimedia-l] Is the capability to delete usernames compatible with the CCBYSA license?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Oct 23 10:00:02 UTC 2013

On 10/23/13 11:10 AM, Andre Engels wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Strainu <strainu10 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Same argument in
>>> different wording: None of the creativity that goes into the vandalizing
>>> from version A to version B is present in version C. Thus, version C does
>>> not fall under the copyright of the vandal. Which means that there is
>> also
>>> no obligation to honor their licensing restrictions, only those of the
>>> authors who are actually partly responsible for the final document.
>> If we go this way, then none of the authors who added legitimate
>> content in the past but had it deleted later should be credited. We
>> would need a tool like "git blame" [1] to generate the author list.
>>
> Not necessary - "need not be credited" does not imply "should not be
> credited".

Especially since it's difficult to do that accurately using a
git-blame-style method. We can't use only count text that's persisted
into the final version (in the style of WikiTrust's attribution),
because if author A contributes a paragraph, and later editors
completely rework the paragraph for wording, clarity, order, etc. to the
extent that none of the original words remain verbatim, the final result
may still be co-authored by A, both legally and morally speaking: you
can do quite a bit of rewriting of a contribution while keeping the gist
of it intact.

-Mark