[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Education] How to force to enable Visual Editor

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 05:21:49 UTC 2013

You're correct Srikanth; I'd like to think that VisualEditor will be the
"entry" editing interface of the future, but it's still not stable enough
and is missing too many features to be ideal for new editors.  It is,
however, getting better every time I use it, so it is inching closer
incrementally.  Today I successfully completed an edit using VE that I know
for a fact would have broken the page back in July, so progress is being
made.  When I worked with a group of new editors back in August, they
universally reverted to using Wikitext because it had easy-to-use
referencing and editing tools, only some of which are now incorporated into
VE, but I have faith that these will be folded in as time goes on.

It should be noted, however, that almost every single "bug" reported in
relation to VE occurred with experienced editors who had the skill to
report it, or to at least figure out how to "undo" the edit.  Those that
occurred with new editors were not reported unless an experienced editor
reviewed it and then tried to replicate it and figure out what went wrong.
It was this situation that led to showdowns on the English Wikipedia, more
so than just about anything else.  Well, that, and making it the production
editing interface without even testing major features.

I cannot speak to the experience on projects outside of English Wikipedia,
but I dearly hope that things are going more smoothly on other projects
that have not decided to remove themselves from participation in the
testing.

Risker