[Wikimedia-l] New access to non-public information policy, re-ID requirements and data retention

Tomasz W. Kozlowski tomasz at twkozlowski.net
Tue Oct 15 08:14:40 UTC 2013

Keegan Peterzell wrote:

> This isn't 100% correct. �The idea was to have agents who had not
> already identified do so, since OTRS agents have access to a massive
> amount of non-public information. �For those interested in the result,
> it was posting a public list of OTRS agent usernames on meta. �There is
> no current requirement for agents to ID.

Not really. The discussion on the OTRS wiki clearly states that the
intention was for all OTRS volunteers to "[be] identified just like
CheckUsers, Oversights, and Stewards" "in accordance with the non-public
data and privacy policies." which, at that time required people to
"satisfactorily identify" themselves to the Foundation (and they still
do), which in effect means that they need to send a copy of their ID to
the WMF.

After various concerns raised by OTRS volunteers on the OTRS wiki, at
least two private OTRS mailing lists, and this very list, the issue was
frozen after this announcement by Philippe[1].

The posting of a public list of OTRS agents usernames was result of an
entirely different discussion, which was only started in January 2013;
the one I was referring to took place in February 2011 (and later on).

And yes, there is currently no requirement for OTRS agents to ID
themselves to the WMF, but the new draft is, at this point, planning to
change this.

           Tomasz