[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Re: Carbon footprints on Wikipedia.

Geoff Beacon geoffbeacon at sent.com
Wed Oct 9 12:26:21 UTC 2013

I meant to send this to the list.

Geoff Beacon

----- Original message -----
From: Geoff Beacon <geoffbeacon at sent.com>
To: James Salsman <jsalsman at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Carbon footprints on Wikipedia.
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 12:09:05 +0100

James,

Thanks for your elucidation of primary and secondary sources but I am uneasy about your scoring system. e.g. the New Scientist is good because it "has a reputation for fact checking".

I think most people who look into the topic will agree that, for example, the carbon footprint of beef is between 10 and 40 times its own weight in Carbon Dioxide Equivalent (CO2e) so how would an entry in Wikipedia that said the following fit:

[The carbon footprint of beef] Provisional answer. Very large. Somewhere between 10 and 40 times its own weight in Carbon Dioxide Equivalent.

At present Wikipedia's silence does it a disservice giving a false overall impression of the state of knowledge - yes I mean knowledge. You can see my various websites thinks that should be broached even if not completely resolved.

I don't really have the time to become a serious Wikipedia contributor. I don't have the time to keep up most of my websites. I would much rather Wikipedia was the source but I have been rather goaded into this response.

"The inherent complexity and controversy of carbon footprints". What do you mean by that?

The complexity argument is how the government sources get away with ignoring important issues like the missing feedbacks in climate models or the radiative forcing index in air travel - we don't properly understand them so we will ignore them.

Best wishes

Geoff