[Wikimedia-l] XOWA has released a complete copy of 2013-11-04 English Wikipedia with images -- Help wanted!

gnosygnu gnosygnu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 07:14:06 UTC 2013

Hi. I am the developer for XOWA -- a free, open-source offline
Wikipedia app. XOWA allows a user to have their own copy of a wiki on
their hard-drive -- without any internet connection. It works with the
latest versions of over 660 database dumps [1], including wikis like
English Wikipedia, French Wiktionary, German Wikisource, Wikidata,
Wikimedia Commons, etc.. If you have a moment, you can download the
app and set up Simple Wikipedia in less than 5 minutes.

I just finished generating a full set of thumbnail images for English
Wikipedia. This now makes it possible to have one's own complete
offline copy of English Wikipedia as of 2013-11-04. The total size of
these image databases are quite large (75 GB), but archive.org was
kind enough to host them[2].

I've emailed offline-l, but I am emailing this group because I'd like
to reach as wide an audience as possible. In particular, these files
will also be distributed by torrent[3], and I'd like to attract as
many seeders as possible, especially as torrents should relieve any
burden on archive.org's download servers. In addition, future wikis
will be distributed by torrent, so more seeders now will facilitate
distribution then. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could assist with
seeding these files, or forward this news to others who may help seed
them.

Thank you in advance for your time and support.

[1]: See http://dumps.wikimedia.org/backup-index.html for a full list.

[2]: The download links are:
http://archive.org/details/Xowa_enwiki_2013-11-04_images_complete_00
http://archive.org/details/Xowa_enwiki_2013-11-04_images_complete_01