[Wikimedia-l] September 11 wiki

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 18:19:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Matthew Flaschen <
matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:

> On 11/20/2013 07:09 PM, Tim Starling wrote:
>
>> In 2007, the September 11 wiki was moved to a non-Wikimedia site,
>> evidently hosted by an individual without the capacity to preserve
>> that content for posterity. It was offline after only 3 years.
>>

> It is still accessible at the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine (
> http://wayback.archive.org/web/20060111221201/http://sep11.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page)
> (if I try a later year, it seems to redirect to sep11memories.org).

It would be ideal to find an organization -- someone who has been
collecting Sept 11 archives, perhaps -- who would be interested in taking
on curation of the site. Something like the
http://911digitalarchive.org/would be perfect, though it seems they
are no longer actively working on
the project. The U.S. Library of Congress has a big archive too,  though I
don't know if they can add currently-offline materials to it:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/lcwa/html/sept11/sept11-overview.html
The IA might be willing to add to its archive, as well. Anyway, perhaps
this is worth pursuing.

-- Phoebe

--
* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *