[Wikimedia-l] wikimediafoundation.org coup: six months later

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Tue Nov 19 03:59:10 UTC 2013

Tomasz W. Kozlowski wrote:
>for those of you who do not watch the RecentChanges on the Foundation
>wiki <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:RecentChanges>, I
>think it might be somehow surprising to see that in a top-level
>decision, almost all volunteer administrators of the wiki have been
>stripped off their adminship yesterday evening (UTC time).

Sigh.

It's been about six months since Philippe and Gayle orchestrated and
executed this coup, removing every volunteer administrator without notice
or justification.

Gayle hasn't made any mailing lists posts or edits to that wiki in the
past few months. Philippe has made a handful of both. The wiki continues
to clutter up with thousands of dead, or worse, misleading pages. There
are even a couple still suggesting that donors send money to post office
boxes in Florida....

I think it's difficult to assume good faith when you can see how
interested Gayle or Philippe are in actually improving the wiki. Every
indication so far says that their actions were a hit and run. :-/

I think it might be a reasonable goal for 2014 to do away with the wiki.
Meta-Wiki will make a fine home.

MZMcBride