[Wikimedia-l] New designs for account creation and login rolling out gradually to all projects

Steven Walling swalling at wikimedia.org
Wed May 29 03:05:00 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Per our blog post last month,[1] we've been testing redesigns for account
creation and login across the projects. We've been doing so on an opt-in
basis, but we've dealt with any major bugs and translations are complete
for quite a few languages.

Starting tomorrow and barring any last minute hiccups, we're going to start
rolling out the new designs. Right now we're limiting it to about 30
projects, including the following...

   - Wikipedia in 21 languages, including English, German, French, Italian,
   Polish, Dutch, Chinese, Hebrew, Arabic, Korean, Czech, Swedish, and others.
   - In English: Wikibooks, Wikisource, Wikispecies, Wikinews, Wiktionary,
   and Wikiquote.
   - Wikimedia Commons
   - Wikidata
   - Meta
   - MediaWiki .org

There are still local customizations that will need to be made in many of
these, but they are the kind of thing that doesn't require a developer to
do, just edits to the wiki. Look for announcements soon on your local
Village Pump equivalent for more info, or check out our
testing documentation.[2] I'll be around to help any of these wikis that
don't have an admin handy to make requested changes.

The remaining projects we have held off on because there are localizations
still to be completed (on translatewiki) or there are problems with
localizations already finished. Since the work of localizations is never
100% complete however, we are putting out a hard *deadline of June 5th*,
after which we'll be turning on the forms for all projects, in all
languages.  If you're interested in learning more about which wikis in
particular need help, please email me off-list or get in touch via my user
talk page anywhere.

Please speak up if you have any questions. You can still try these new
forms on any Wikimedia project via the method mentioned in the two links
below...

1. http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/04/25/try-new-login-accountcreation/
2. mediawiki.org/wiki/Account_creation_user_experience/Testing

--
Steven Walling
https://wikimediafoundation.org/

P.S. Sorry if there are odd linebreaks in this message. Has anyone figured
out how to avoid this in Gmail?