[Wikimedia-l] Go away, community (from WMF wiki at least)

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Mon May 20 23:28:14 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Tomasz W. Kozlowski
<tomasz at twkozlowski.net> wrote:
> Well, it's Monday SF time (4 PM if Google doesn't lie to me), and we're
> still waiting for some explanations on why this situations happened /at
> all/.

The problem with this kind of actions is personal inability to suppose
what the action can produce. It could be a bureaucratic decision or
something perceived as a small revenge, but I don't think that it
would be done if the full consequences of the action were known, even
the "full consequences" means raising this issue on wikimedia-l.

If we are not talking about geeks with obsessive-compulsive disorder
(where I belong from time to time), that's normal human behavior. What
the real issue is and what is something which should and have to be
solved, are the [cultural] norms, which the Board and the top
management should enforce (mostly, through the education of staff).

In that sense, it isn't productive to search for a scapegoat. The best
way for dealing with the issues like this one is to make a pressure on
Board and top management not to see something like this anymore.