[Wikimedia-l] Legal victory for Wikipedia in Italy

Michelle Paulson mpaulson at wikimedia.org
Thu Jun 27 17:37:19 UTC 2013

Hi Nemo,

While this case is not binding precedent (Italy follows civil law), it is a
great case that other courts can look to in evaluating the liability of
chapters or other volunteers (who are not involved in the creation of the
content in question) sued for their alleged responsibility over content.

It is worth noting (as I did in the blog post), however, that every
individual is legally responsible for his or her actions both online and
off. For your own protection, you should exercise caution and avoid
contributing any content to the Wikimedia projects that may result in
criminal or civil liability under the laws of the United States or any
country that may claim jurisdiction over you. For more information, please
see our Terms of Use
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use>and Legal
Policies<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Legal_and_Community_Advocacy/Legal_Policies#Responsibility_for_Edits_and_Contributions>
.

Best,

Michelle

--
Michelle Paulson
Legal Counsel
mpaulson at wikimedia.org
415.839.6885 ext. 6608 (Office)
415.882.0495 (Fax)

NOTICE: *This message might have confidential or legally privileged
information in it. If you have received this message by accident, please
delete it and let us know about the mistake. For legal reasons, I may only
serve as an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation. This means I may not
give legal advice to or serve as a lawyer for community members,
volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.*